People…I steal most of my fantasy content and you should too (more on that in a future column), so much of what you’ll read below likely started as a seed sown by someone smarter than me. Here are some things that stick out:
- Nathan Eovaldi will be a top 40 SP by the end of the season. He does look sharper this “Spring” and can be had for next to nothing. He’s likely sitting on the wire in shallow leagues, so if he pops off a couple of good starts, keep him in mind.
- Corey Kluber falls off the cliff hard, and will rank outside of the top 100 SP’s by end of the season. Texas heat and diminishing skills don’t inspire good feelings. If I’m roughly 2-3 weeks into this season (which is a quarter of the season, mind you) and Kluber has already gotten hammered, and Eovaldi is cruising…I’m looking to drop Corey for Nate and won’t even look back. Name value makes us believers, but sometimes you just gotta cut that cord.
- Nate Pearson is your AL ROY, not Luis Robert. Maybe this isn’t a stretch here but Pearson has a couple of nasty pitches that the East is going to have a hard time adjusting to. Now you’re saying, but LuBob is the best, man…he hits dingers and swipes the bags. La Pantera is just too sexy NOT to win it! Robert has some well documented holes in his game, and while I’ll bet he hits well out the gate, he’s going to struggle once pitchers catch up. Pearson on the other hand will be up around the end of July/first of August and dominate.
- No catcher finishes in the top 100 of any end of season rankings. This one’s not a stretch when you consider roughly 3-5 have the potential of doing so anyway. The Covid monster, slight injuries, etc. are gonna put these guys on ice for the year. NEVER pay for catching. They’ll break your heart every time.
- Yoenis Cespedes stays healthy and pops off for 15 HR and thrives in the DH role. Welcome back, Yo! If you haven’t invested your dollar, or picked him up off your wire I’d make sure to do so quick. He’ll be very fantasy relevant this season, finishing back in the Top 100 of ALL players.
Anyway, that’s my bit…hope you’ve enjoyed it. Drop me a line if you agree, disagree or just want to haggle about some things.
Feature image courtesy of Ian D’Andrea from Philadelphia, PA / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)